Sunday, February 27, 2011

Boy Named Goo

I had a conversation with somebody about how musicians make out if they don't reach a record label. It's interesting because some of the greatest groups or artists made out by themselves in the beginning. I'm reading a book about the come up of hip hop in New York. It's one of the most interesting books I've read in my life, so far. I read that multi platinum recording artist and producer Jay Z couldn't get signed to a major label in the 90's. I then read that he started his own. Roc-a-Fella Records. It grew to become one of the most credible and respected recording labels worldwide in the hip hop industry. He may have had money to fund this entire project, but the point is that he started from nothing and built a foundation around himself and a movement. In a way I had myself thinking. I am sort of like an artist, I'd say. At the end of the day all I want to do is be part of a network in media with people, and music. So, with that being said. Why can't I create something like a record label (in my case something along the lines of news, and media, writing). Some of the best and most recognized artists in the world have started from the ground. Why can't I create something that could potentially plug me into a network of my interest. On days like these I spend time thinking about how a normal person like me could create such a thing. Sometimes and most of the time it's not what you know, but who you know. I decided to share my thoughts about this because I know I will make a move forward. I just don't know how, or when.

I came across a super old clip of The Goo Goo Dolls performing Name live at some radio station in 1996. That means I was 9 years old when this all took place. This one ended up being one of my all time favorite acoustic songs. When I moved to Edmonton in April of 2006 the only album I had in my back pack was Boy Named Goo, by The Goo Goo Dolls. Robby Takac looks much younger here. It's worth a listen.

Enjoy your Monday tomorrow everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment